FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Michelle Schroeder
July 07, 2010 785/249-8095
TIAHRT RELEASES NEW STATEWIDE TV AD
Great Bend, Kan. -Todd Tiahrt’s U.S. Senate campaign today announced the launch of a new statewide television ad, Stand Tall, which outlines the stark differences between the records of Todd Tiahrt and Congressman Moran.
“Congressman Moran’s record of raising taxes, voting to extend Constitutional rights to terrorists and embracing the Obama/Pelosi takeover are in stark contrast to Todd Tiahrt’s conservative record,” said Michelle Schroeder, spokesperson for the Tiahrt campaign. “Todd Tiahrt has never voted for a tax increase -never. Todd does not believe terrorists who have plotted or carried out terrorist activities against our troops or our citizens deserve any rights, and Todd certainly saw the danger in an Obama/Pelosi takeover and was not afraid to say it.”
“Congressman Moran continues to run from his record, but the facts are clear, fully documented and verifiable. Moran voted against the 2003 $726 billion Bush tax cut package, he voted multiple times to raise property, sales and income taxes, and he voted against the permanent repeal of the death tax,” continued Schroeder. “Congressman Moran also voted to extend Constitutional rights to terrorists and allow them access to our federal courts, he praised President Obama saying he was ‘easier to work with than President Bush,’ and he said the Pelosi takeover of the House was ‘probably good for the country.’ Congressman Moran’s record is certainly dismal, but that does not allow him to be loose with the facts and try to deceive voters into believing these things never happened.”
To see the new Tiahrt ad click here.
The text of Tiahrt’s “Stand Tall” ad is below:
Here in Kansas we’re taught to stand up for what we believe.
Yet where my opponent and I stand is very different.
He votes to raise taxes and I will do everything I can to cut them.
He votes to give terrorists constitutional rights.I believe terrorists deserve no rights.
And where he saw promise in Pelosi taking over Washington. I saw nothing but trouble and said so.
I’m Todd Tiahrt candidate for US Senate and I approve this message.
Because if you and I don’t stand up.who will?
- Voted against creating temporary tax incentives for businesses to make investments in their companies and providing individual tax relief in the form of tax rebates. (RC 42, HR 5140, 2/7/08)
- One of just 12 Republicans to vote against the 2003 Republican $726 billion Tax Relief Package, that cut taxes across the board, ended the double taxation of dividends, increased several deductions, such as the child tax cut, and expanded the 2001 tax cuts. (RC 82, H Con Res 95, 3/21/03)
- Voted for the so-called Blue Dog Democrat FY 2000 budget, which contained taxes that were $100 billion more than the Republican budget. (RC 75, H Con Res 68, 3/25/99)
- . Supported giving constitutional rights to terrorists by opposing military tribunals and arguing that terrorists deserve Habeas Corpus (RC, HR 6166, 9/27/06)
- “Moran, 1st District representative from Hays, was one of just seven Republicans to vote against a bill sanctioning military tribunals to try suspected terrorists.” (“Moran bucks party over terror measures,” Garden City Telegram, 10/3/06).
- “He expressed concern the bills granted too much power to government – which he considers a traditional Republican concern – and denied prisoners traditional U.S. legal protections.” (“Moran bucks party over terror measures,” Garden City Telegram, 10/3/06).
- “Moran said he was concerned about provisions of the bill that would allow detainees to be imprisoned indefinitely and denied them the ability to have their cases appealed to the federal court system.” (“Moran bucks party over terror measures,” Garden City Telegram, 10/3/06).