Hodge’s first article at Race42012: “Giving the Temporary Majority Unlimited Authority to Increase Taxes and Debt Has Failed.”
To jump forward to today: if the Republican Congress of the mid-1990s had merely passed a Constitutional amendment requiring a super-majority of Congress in order to increase the national debt, the Obama-Specter stimulus bill would not have passed, at least without first forcing Congress to increase taxes.
If one half of a marriage repeatedly spends money without permission, the marriage will not be a success. And when one gives a limitless credit card to a 15-year-old, it should be no surprise when the privilege is abused.
Long-term, America will fail if 52% of the citizens continue to wildly spend the money owned by the other 48%, and if the cost of federal programs can continue to casually be passed down to future generations. Rather than merely focusing on the individual programs to which we object, I find it more effective to focus on the total size of the purse.
When given a Constitutionally-instructed limit, Congress will be forced to prioritize, and we will begin to see permanent, meaningful reform with regard to the size and scope of the federal government.
Tags: Constitutional amendment, debt, obama, Specter, stimulus, super-majority, taxes, Temporary Majority